Medical Response Specialist
Seeking a motivated and passionate professional to serve as the Medical Response Specialist for Samaritan’s Purse’s International Disaster Response Unit (IDRU) program. This is an incredible opportunity to answer your call to serve people in the midst of crisis and disaster. The core of our mission is demonstrated in international relief as we meet people in their darkest hour to not only meet their physical needs, but to share the hope of Jesus Christ.
The Medical Response Specialist provides technical guidance on best practices for Samaritan’s Purse’s emergency medical responses. This includes staff development, clinical processes and protocols and physical capacity development such as developing modules for the emergency field hospital, clinics, etc. The Specialist will also be requested to provide guidance into other ongoing medical programming as requested.
This position will support international disaster responses in the field and/or at headquarters during a disaster response.
Travel could be 60 - 80 days per year.
Description of Job duties:
o Develop Disaster Assistance Response Team (DART) Members to ensure ability to staff and lead responses and programs:
- Engage DART Members with pertinent articles, lectures, and ongoing development.
- Help develop, maintain, and facilitate robust medical DART training programs.
- Identify and train leadership capacity within current DART roster, for future emergency medical responses.
o Develop and maintain Samaritan’s Purse’s Emergency Medical Response capacities at or above accepted international best practices:
- Develop and maintain medical protocols/policy to allow improved utilization of the general medical sector and specifically emergency medical response needs.
- Maintain medical response units (Emergency Field Hospital, Emergency Response Units, teams, etc.).
- Assist in design and development of appropriate capacities to respond to disaster medical needs, including surgical field hospitals, cold chain management, malnourishment treatment and other capabilities.
o Work to improve the overall medical visibility of Samaritan’s Purse internationally:
- Submit publications of medical articles concerning disaster responses and programs.
- Engage with donor/government agencies as requested.
- Present at various conferences.
- Explore opportunities for new grants and programming in coordination with leadership.
o Serve as emergency medical program lead:
- Develop and maintain information and materials needed to ensure Samaritan’s Purse’s ability to quickly and efficiently submit medical proposals, create articles and do analysis of responses.
- Coordinate with the Program Management Team to ensure quality proposals and reporting for externally funded emergency medical programs.
- Provide guidance in grant development and evaluation with area related grants.
o Serve as a primary responder to implement medical DART programs, as needed.
o Attend daily morning devotions and participate in prayer support for the ministry, its donor and volunteers.
o Maintain a strong Christian witness to colleagues, vendors, charitable beneficiaries, and the general public. Maintains a strong Christian witness to colleagues, vendors, charitable beneficiaries, and the general public.
o Assess, manage, and report critical physical, emotional, or spiritual concerns of supervised staff.
- Maintain a personal relationship with and be a consistent witness for Jesus Christ.
- Medical Doctor (M.D. or D.O.), Nurse (RN) or medical professional with significant experience. Applicable experience and education (MPH, etc.) a preference.
- One year of college-level Biblical studies preferred.
- Experience leading teams in disaster responses.
- Experience living/working in an international context.
- Proven ability to develop capacity and mentor team members.
- Experience in developing and writing grant proposals.
- Ability to proactively identify areas of opportunity and to provide resourceful and creative solutions to improve business processes and achieve results.
- Able to manage multiple tasks under pressure and without direct supervision.
- Ability to interact with and understand motivations of people from many countries and cultures.
- Effective organizational and interpersonal skills including written and verbal communication skills.
Employees who work in the U.S. get to take advantage of the following benefits:
- Medical, prescription, dental & vision insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Long term and short term disability insurance
- Term Life insurance
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Ten paid holidays
- Ten or more days of vacation depending on years of service
- Ten sick/personal days
- Staff discounts at retail stores and service providers in the Boone area and nationwide
- Daily staff devotions and prayer time
Samaritan’s Purse Distinct Objectives:
PROCLAIM THE GOSPEL - EXALT Christ and share the Gospel while working in His Name around the world
SERVE WITH EXCELLENCE - EXCEED the world’s standard while serving the purposes of God’s kingdom
RESPOND WITH COMPASSIONATE ACTION - EXPEDITE our response to needs as the Lord reveals opportunities to minister
DEMONSTRATE BIBLICAL INTEGRITY - EXHIBIT character and integrity personally, at home and work
WALK IN BOLD FAITH - EXPECT God to do the impossible
Samaritan's Purse Mission Statement:
Samaritan's Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan's Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine with the purpose of sharing God's love through His Son, Jesus Christ. The organization serves the Church worldwide to promote the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Samaritan's Purse Statement of Faith:
* We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God. (1 Thessalonians 2:13; 2 Timothy 3:15-17)
* We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. (Matthew 28:19; John 10:30; Ephesians 4:4-6)
* We believe in the deity of the Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood on the cross, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory. (Matthew 1:23; John 1:1-4 and 1:29; Acts 1:11 and 2:22-24; Romans 8:34; 1 Corinthians 15:3-4; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Philippians 2:5-11; Hebrews 1:1-4 and 4:15)
* We believe that all men everywhere are lost and face the judgment of God, that Jesus Christ is the only way of salvation, and that for the salvation of lost and sinful man, repentance of sin and faith in Jesus Christ results in regeneration by the Holy Spirit. (Luke 24:46-47; John 14:6; Acts 4:12; Romans 3:23; 2 Corinthians 5:10-11; Ephesians 1:7 and 2:8-9; Titus 3:4-7)
* We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, whose indwelling enables the Christian to live a godly life. (John 3:5-8; Acts 1:8 and 4:31; Romans 8:9; 1 Corinthians 2:14; Galatians 5:16-18; Ephesians 6:12; Colossians 2:6-10)
* We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; the saved unto the resurrection of eternal life and the lost unto the resurrection of damnation and eternal punishment. (1 Corinthians 15:51-57; Revelation 20:11-15)
* We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in the Lord Jesus Christ and that all true believers are members of His body, the church. (1 Corinthians 12:12, 27; Ephesians 1:22-23)
* We believe that the ministry of evangelism and discipleship is a responsibility of all followers of Jesus Christ. (Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; Romans 10:9-15; 1 Peter 3:15)
* We believe God’s plan for human sexuality is to be expressed only within the context of marriage, that God created man and woman as unique biological persons made to complete each other. God instituted monogamous marriage between male and female as the foundation of the family and the basic structure of human society. For this reason, we believe that marriage is exclusively the union of one genetic male and one genetic female. (Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:5-6; Mark 10:6-9; Romans 1:26-27; 1 Corinthians 6:9)
* We believe that we must dedicate ourselves to prayer, to the service of our Lord, to His authority over our lives, and to the ministry of evangelism. (Matthew 9:35-38; 22:37-39, and 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; Romans 10:9-15 and 12:20-21; Galatians 6:10; Colossians 2:6-10; 1 Peter 3:15)
* We believe that human life is sacred from conception to its natural end; and that we must have concern for the physical and spiritual needs of our fellowmen. (Psalm 139:13; Isaiah 49:1; Jeremiah 1:5; Matthew 22:37-39; Romans 12:20-21; Galatians 6:10)
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 9180