MAS Ground Training Officer
The Samaritan’s Purse Ground Training Officer’s primary role is to provide assistance, as a Ground Instructor/Mentor, to Private and Commercial pilot trainees at the Moi University (MU) School of Aerospace Sciences. Also, to liaise with Mission Aviation Services East Africa (MAS EA) to provide MU students exposure to the practical aspects of a real world, international aviation operation. The Ground Training Officer will also assist in the promotion of the Nationalization objectives of Samaritan’s Purse MAS EA as time allows.
· Attain and maintain a current Commercial Pilot’s License and a Ground Instructor Authorization issued by the Kenya Civil Aviation Authority.
· Prepare ground school lessons based on the MU Ground Training Manual - KCAA sanctioned aviation ground school curriculum.
· Participate as a classroom Ground Instructor for both the Private Pilot and Commercial Pilot ground-school sessions. (Approximately 5 classroom hours a week.).
· Be available, on campus, for informal mentoring for all Pilot trainees (Approximately 3 hours, once a week).
· Secure, develop, and provide supplemental study resources (videos, books, online resources for MU’s ELearning portal, etc.) for Private and Commercial Pilot trainees.
· Keep regular office hours on the MU campus (optional and flexible*)
· Serve as a member of the MU School of Aerospace Sciences advisory board (optional and conditional**)
· Manage the MU/MAS EA Attachment Program(s)
· Assist in the development of the new campus and hangar facilities at the Eldoret Airstrip.
· Serve as an MAS EA Flight Simulator Instructor.
· Assist in the ongoing development and implementation of the MAS EA New Pilot training program.
· Serve as an MAS EA Caravan Training Captain (optional)
· Other MU and MAS EA roles as needed.
· Attend daily morning devotions and participate in prayer support for the ministry, its donors and volunteers.
· Maintain a strong Christian witness to colleagues, vendors, charitable beneficiaries, and the general public.
· Assess, manage, and report critical physical, emotional, or spiritual concerns of supervised staff.
*Note: The Ground Training Officer would be expected to keep regular working hours like every MAS EA employee. MU has offered office space on campus (or at the new facility) if we so desire. So where this position is formally based from is open for discussion.
**Note: The possibility of a position on the Advisory Board comes simply from brainstorming about possible future roles. This offer has yet to be formalized.
Education and Experience
Four year college (Bachelor’s Degree). Twelve credit hours of college-level Biblical studies strongly preferred. Teaching experience (flight and/or ground) preferred. Twelve credit hours of college-level Biblical studies strongly preferred.
Skills and Competencies
To perform this job successfully, an individual must maintain a personal relationship with and be a consistent witness for Jesus Christ, as well as able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· FAA Commercial Pilot’s License minimum (Airline Transport Pilot’s License preferred).
· FAA Certified Flight and Instrument Instructor (CFII).
· Certified Ground Instructor (not a prerequisite for hiring but should plan on earning this certificate before assignment).
· Will need to convert FAA to KCAA Licenses soon after arrival in Kenya.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Willing to learn local language(s).
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collects data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Samaritan’s Purse Distinct Objectives:
PROCLAIM THE GOSPEL - EXALT Christ and share the Gospel while working in His Name around the world
SERVE WITH EXCELLENCE - EXCEED the world’s standard while serving the purposes of God’s kingdom
RESPOND WITH COMPASSIONATE ACTION - EXPEDITE our response to needs as the Lord reveals opportunities to minister
DEMONSTRATE BIBLICAL INTEGRITY - EXHIBIT character and integrity personally, at home and work
WALK IN BOLD FAITH - EXPECT God to do the impossible
Samaritan's Purse Mission Statement:
Samaritan's Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan's Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine with the purpose of sharing God's love through His Son, Jesus Christ. The organization serves the Church worldwide to promote the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Samaritan's Purse Statement of Faith:
* We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God. (1 Thessalonians 2:13; 2 Timothy 3:15-17)
* We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. (Matthew 28:19; John 10:30; Ephesians 4:4-6)
* We believe in the deity of the Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood on the cross, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory. (Matthew 1:23; John 1:1-4 and 1:29; Acts 1:11 and 2:22-24; Romans 8:34; 1 Corinthians 15:3-4; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Philippians 2:5-11; Hebrews 1:1-4 and 4:15)
* We believe that all men everywhere are lost and face the judgment of God, that Jesus Christ is the only way of salvation, and that for the salvation of lost and sinful man, repentance of sin and faith in Jesus Christ results in regeneration by the Holy Spirit. (Luke 24:46-47; John 14:6; Acts 4:12; Romans 3:23; 2 Corinthians 5:10-11; Ephesians 1:7 and 2:8-9; Titus 3:4-7)
* We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, whose indwelling enables the Christian to live a godly life. (John 3:5-8; Acts 1:8 and 4:31; Romans 8:9; 1 Corinthians 2:14; Galatians 5:16-18; Ephesians 6:12; Colossians 2:6-10)
* We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; the saved unto the resurrection of eternal life and the lost unto the resurrection of damnation and eternal punishment. (1 Corinthians 15:51-57; Revelation 20:11-15)
* We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in the Lord Jesus Christ and that all true believers are members of His body, the church. (1 Corinthians 12:12, 27; Ephesians 1:22-23)
* We believe that the ministry of evangelism and discipleship is a responsibility of all followers of Jesus Christ. (Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; Romans 10:9-15; 1 Peter 3:15)
* We believe God’s plan for human sexuality is to be expressed only within the context of marriage, that God created man and woman as unique biological persons made to complete each other. God instituted monogamous marriage between male and female as the foundation of the family and the basic structure of human society. For this reason, we believe that marriage is exclusively the union of one genetic male and one genetic female. (Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:5-6; Mark 10:6-9; Romans 1:26-27; 1 Corinthians 6:9)
* We believe that we must dedicate ourselves to prayer, to the service of our Lord, to His authority over our lives, and to the ministry of evangelism. (Matthew 9:35-38; 22:37-39, and 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; Romans 10:9-15 and 12:20-21; Galatians 6:10; Colossians 2:6-10; 1 Peter 3:15)
* We believe that human life is sacred from conception to its natural end; and that we must have concern for the physical and spiritual needs of our fellowmen. (Psalm 139:13; Isaiah 49:1; Jeremiah 1:5; Matthew 22:37-39; Romans 12:20-21; Galatians 6:10)
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 9385