North American Ministries responds quickly when natural disasters strike, deploying an army of volunteers to come alongside homeowners to bring relief and compassion in Jesus’ Name. Key employees, like the Assistant Fleet Mechanic/Driver are essential in getting the supplies and equipment there to be used by the volunteers and maintaining them. With a base location at North Wilkesboro, NC, the position is responsible for assisting the Fleet Mechanic / Driver (FMD) with operation and maintenance of North American Ministries’ (NAM) fleet of vehicles and supporting equipment.
A day in the life of an Assistant Fleet Mechanic/Driver:
At Samaritan’s Purse, the Gospel really is the center of all we do! We start each day with a time of devotions and spend time praying for each other, our staff and volunteers who serve around the globe.
In the role of Assistant Fleet Mechanic/Driver, you will have the opportunity to:
- Maintain a strong Christian witness to colleagues, vendors, charitable beneficiaries, and the general public
- Responsible for the regular maintenance, repairs, and cleanliness of the department’s vehicle fleet and equipment. Maintain the equipment in a “response-ready” mode
- Ensure all work performed is being recorded properly on the check list and work sheets
- Recognize “quality work” as being a Christian witness. This pertains to all work, including the cleanliness and organization of the tool and shop areas, as well as the warehouse, sheds, and garage areas. This also includes being “safety conscious" concerning the work being performed and the areas surrounding the work
- Stay current and knowledgeable on Federal and State Department of Transportation (DOT) rules and regulations to include hours of service, license requirements, vehicle registrations and permits
- Assist with Disaster Relief inventory and the tracking of NAM assets.
- Travel to field sites as necessary to maintain and operate vehicles and equipment, provide logistical support, assist with tool management and project site instruction, and help ensure the safety and quality of our work. (Position reports to field site Program Manager during deployments.)
Check out why people love serving with Samaritan’s Purse: https://bit.ly/2F8Nom5
Qualifications & Experience:
- Maintain your personal relationship with Jesus Christ and be an effective witness for Him
- Must maintain a current Class A Commercial Driver's Liscense (CDL) and a valid DOT Medical Card
- Associate's degree (A.A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or six months to one year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to maintain and trouble shoot issues with equipment such as tractor-trailers as well as small equipment such as chain saws, skid steers, commercial refrigeration, etc.
- Able to deploy with short notice for 2 or more weeks at a time.
- 12 credit hours of college-level Biblical Studies
Job Location: North Wilkesboro, NC
Language Requirement: Fluency in English
Travel Expectations: 50-65% Domestic
- On-site Medical Clinic (staff and dependents)
- Medical, prescription, dental & vision insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Long-term and Short-term disability insurance
- Paid Family Medical Leave
- Term Life Insurance
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- 10 paid holidays
- 12 vacation/personal days
- 10 sick days