A day in the life of a Finance Manager, Middle East
This position is unaccompanied (no spouses or dependents).
- Reviews and approves financial transactions for Samaritan’s Purse field operations based in the region as appropriate (includes vouchers, FERs, cash advances, transfers, etc.).
- Ensures financial and accounting activity is carried out in accordance with Samaritan's Purse field accounting policies and International Accounting Standards.
- Represents the Finance Department in Samaritan’s Purse Senior Management and area field operations meetings.
- Provides support to Base Manager and Program Managers with regard to financial policies, practices, and related areas as required.
- Supervises Finance Staff and assures performance of daily functions including recording all cash, check and bank transfer transactions, maintain cash and bank ledgers, monitor cash advances and field expense reports, reconcile cash on hand, and monthly bank reconciliation.
- Ensures adequate cash flow for operations and safety of financial resources at base and sub-office locations.
- Ensures that all financial reporting obligations are met in relation to submissions for funding, for grant aid, for contracts and any other initiatives.
- Provides required monthly financial reports and analysis by specified deadlines to the Country Director and International Headquarters as assigned.
- Monitors expenditures against budgets and ensures that spending is based on committed funds.
- Prepares for and hosts all audits and auditors in collaboration with field leadership to ensure compliance with Samaritan’s Purse and donor requirements.
- Maintains good relationships with SPRY’s banks and regularly monitors each bank’s fluidity and the financial climate in-country.
- Provides training, technical support, and works closely with programs, logistics, and human resources staff as needed regarding interrelationship of financial responsibility and departmental duties.
- Monitors internal controls and performs periodic assessments to identify risks associated within the Country Office.
- Identifies areas for financial and administrative improvement and works to implement feasible improvements.
- Manages the capacity building initiatives for SPRY’s Finance Team.
- Follows policies and procedures of Samaritan’s Purse as set forth in the Policy Manual.
- Other duties may be assigned that are not specifically identified within the content of the job description.
In the role of Finance Manager, you will provide strategic financial management leadership and support the implementation of financial policies to ensure effective resource utilization and risk mitigation for our Yemen operations in the Middle East. You will be responsible for developing, implementing, and coordinating all financial and budgetary aspects of the specific programs, projects, and/or region: administrative field accounting, expenditures, bookkeeping, and payroll.
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from a 4-year college or university in Accounting, Finance, or related field of study.
- 5+ years progressive financial management experience in a complex, dynamic environment such as a nonprofit organization with operating budgets, diverse funding streams, and substantial financial and material assets (preferred).
- CPA or equivalent certification; or equivalent combination of accounting education and managerial experience (preferred).
- Experience with foreign currencies and grants management.
- Strong financial management, impeccable attention to detail, interpersonal, delegation, and supervisory skills.
- Proven ability to work creatively and independently.
- A strong team player and adept at creating a strong team spirit. Diplomatic, encourager, concern for the spiritual well-being of the team.
- Experience living and working in Middle Eastern cultures (preferred). Ability to be flexible and adaptable.
- Ability to communicate and interact well with people of different educational, linguistic, cultural, and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Ability to travel and work in difficult conditions under pressure, and be able to cope in high-stress situations.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office programs and have strong mathematical, analytical, and reasoning abilities.
- Language: Fluency in English (required). Strong English oral and language writing skills, and demonstrated ability to produce quality reports and proposal inputs on short deadlines.
- Language: Knowledge of Arabic (preferred).
Job Location: In a Middle East remote location
Type (Full-Time/Part-Time/Associate): Full-Time
Restrictions (Accompanied/Non-Accompanied): Non-Accompanied (no spouses or dependents)
Language Requirement: Fluency in English (required) / Arabic (preferred)
Travel Expectations: Ability to travel to field sites to monitor projects. Maintaining required travel documents and vaccinations for entry into foreign countries will be necessary.
- Career with purpose!
- Medical, prescription, dental & vision coverage
- Disability insurance
- Term Life insurance
- Retirement savings plan (after 1 year)
- 10 paid holidays (holiday observance will depend on the host country)
- 12 vacation days per year
- Annual home leave