Volunteer Coordinator, World Medical Missions
Location: Boone, NC, United States
Job ID: 12096
Date Posted: Feb 17, 2021
A day in the life of a Volunteer Coordinator
At Samaritan’s Purse, the Gospel really is the center of all we do! We start each day with a time of devotions and prayer. We hear from members of our staff, both from IHQ and our global offices, as well a special guest speakers who encourage us in God’s word. We then join together to prayer for one another, as well as praying for staff and volunteers who serve around the globe. We get paid to start each day this way!
- Act as communication intermediary between volunteers, the mission hospital/clinic, and the Placement Coordinators.
- Serve as liaison between the volunteers, the travel agency, and donors to aid in their understanding of service to mission hospital/clinic in foreign countries, as well as a comprehensive understanding of World Medical Mission and Samaritan’s Purse ministries.
- Provide oversight and direction to entire logistical process once volunteers are placed at hospital/clinic. Orient volunteers verbally and in writing concerning international and in-country travel, immunizations, basic overseas travel health, airline information, basic travel items needed, living arrangements, temporary medical licensing requirements, and cultural differences.
- Send detailed orientation packets to volunteers, including hospital booklet, emergency contact information, confirmed travel arrangements, books, videos, budget worksheets, health and life insurance information and other items as needed.
- Assist volunteers in obtaining information regarding workload, call schedules, facility layout, needed supplies, and medical equipment. This task is accomplished by connecting volunteers with hospital/clinic and others who have recently served in relation to specific medical questions.
- Assist non-medical volunteers in procuring work for the time of service.
- Manage a wide variety of logistical problems in route, which may include emergencies. Problem-solve, trouble-shoot, and offer viable solutions.
- Keep accurate and detailed service records in ACRM, documenting communications, materials sent, and other necessary items pertaining to a specific trip.
- Work in coordination with Placement Coordinator to update and restructure hospital/clinic orientation materials on an ongoing basis. Keep efficient and accurate records in volunteers’ electronic file in ACRM. Document each step of the logistics process in ACRM.
- Research and facilitate all travel arrangements upon receipt of a volunteer file.
- Communicate confirmed travel schedules and all documentation needed for trips, such as passports, tickets, and customs letters. Assist in procurement of documents needed for timely issue of visas.
- Obtain necessary documentation from volunteers for medical license, special pass, work permit, and dependent’s pass. Organize medical credentials, obtain letter of good standing, ensure that documents have been notarized, if needed, and send them to the hospital. Scan all documents into the electronic doctor file in ACRM.
- Manage project activity for related expenses, to include requesting payment for any booked airfare at the time of the booking. Ensure reimbursable expenses are properly handed over to the expense manager.
- In coordination with Expense Coordinator, process check requests for payment (wire transfers) to field offices for reimbursement of in-country flights, etc. Code project invoices appropriately. Process all checks that come in as donations for the volunteer’s project account and keep clear records of all transactions.
- Assist in acquiring additional documentation for volunteers serving for an extended period of time.
- Participate in conferences, meetings, and reports as requested. Assist Director, Manager, and Placement Coordinators in preparations for conferences and meetings by preparing reports, presentations, and other projects as assigned.
Check out why people love serving with Samaritan’s Purse: https://bit.ly/2F8Nom5
Qualifications & Experience
- Maintain a personal relationship with and be a consistent witness for Jesus Christ.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent and six (6) months to one (1) year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proficient in use and manipulation of Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Excel
- Significant experience serving in a time-sensitive customer-service environment
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills
- Meticulous and detail-oriented
- The ability to interact with people from various cultures
- Excellent problem solving skills
Job Location: Boone, NC
Type (Full-Time/Part-Time/Associate): Full-time
- Medical, prescription, dental & vision insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Long term and short term disability insurance
- Term Life insurance
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Paid holidays, vacation, and sick/personal time