Samaritan’s Purse is looking for a Kitchen Coordinator who has a variety of culinary experience. This person in this role will oversee kitchen production, in coordination with the Kitchen Manager, on a shift basis, as needed. The Kitchen Coordinator will prepare and serve food, monitor food quality, order supplies, maintain sanitary cooking areas according to regulations, maintain the cleanliness and appearance of the front of the house, assist with training and many other duties. This is a very hands on position that requires a can do attitude!
If you have multi-functional food service experience and a heart for service we want to talk with you. Please make sure to include your resume and cover letter with your application!
- Prepare and serve food according to approved menus and standardized recipes, while keeping waste to a minimum.
- Apply basic food preparation techniques and terminology.
- Put away stock delivered by food service vendors. Ensure proper dating, rotation, and storage.
- Maintain the kitchen, eating and service areas, storage areas, and cooler/freezer facilities in a clean and orderly manner. Sweep and mop floors.
- Assist with serving meals in appropriate portions. Notify Kitchen Manager if quantities are low.
- Prepare and serve food and beverages to guests at special events and banquets as scheduled.
- Assist with daily closing duties, which include washing dishes, removing trash, and breaking down boxes.
- Ensure towels, aprons, and chef coats are laundered.
- Monitor product pars in specialized area. Place order procurement on a bi-weekly basis.
- Assist with training other Food Service staff and culinary interns in proper techniques.
- Cross train in at least one additional area as determined by Kitchen Manager.
- Keep Kitchen Manager apprised of problems or situations that arise, such as product shortages, special orders, and maintenance needs.
- Assist in submitting biweekly orders to vendors. Establish relationships with food distributors and fulfill task to completion if necessary.
- Assist with catering events as necessary. Maintain working knowledge of organization, presentation, and event rooms. Manage event from set-up to break-down if needed.
- Monitor prep list and kitchen tasks to ensure proper quality and timing.
- Read and prepare recipes with little supervision. Convert small recipes to large scale production.
- Attend daily morning devotions and participates in prayer support for the ministry, its donors and volunteers.
- Advanced knowledge of food preparation and customer service methods, principles, processes, materials, techniques, terminology, and equipment
- Mastery of all kitchen equipment including fryer, dish machine, grill, smoker, oven, flat top, and slicer
- Knowledge of proper food storage and handling techniques as well as the quality, safety, and sanitary standards involved in food preparation
- Knowledge of production and processing, including cost controls and other techniques for effective operations
- Knowledge of principles and processes of providing customer satisfaction
- Social Perceptiveness - understanding of others
- Service orientation - actively looking for ways to help other people and develop constructive and cooperative working relationships
- Pass Samaritans Purse Food Services Advancement Test Level I, II, and III
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High School Diploma and three (3) to five (5) years’ experience in food preparation; or equivalent combination of education and experience. ServeSafe Manager certification and completion of “The Everyday Gourmet” kitchen educational series required.
- Walk and stand for extended periods of time, and move at a brisk pace
- Active listening, oral comprehension and communication
- Bend, stretch, and lift moderate amounts of weight (35 lbs.)
- Perform repetitive hand and arm motions
Employees who work within the U.S. get to take advantage of the following benefits:
- Medical, prescription, dental & vision insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Long term and short term disability insurance
- Term Life insurance
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Ten paid holidays
- Twelve or more days of vacation depending on years of service
- Ten sick days
- Staff discounts at retail stores and service providers in the Boone area and nationwide