Director of Finance
Want to use your financial management and leadership skills towards a greater purpose? At Samaritan’s Purse (SP), we’re hiring a Director of Finance to apply their skills and experience in our South Sudan field office so that we can reach people with physical aid, but more importantly, with the gospel of Jesus Christ. We cannot reach this goal without the finance team ensuring good stewardship of the resources God’s given us. Have a career with impact. Serve here.
The Director of Finance will provide strategic financial management leadership and support the implementation of financial policies to ensure effective resource utilization and risk mitigation in the largest Samaritan’s Purse global field office.
Description of Job duties:
- Provide leadership and management of the Field Office Finance Department by planning, directing and controlling the financial resources of the unit in line with Samaritan Purse Field Operating Guidelines and with International Accounting Standards.
- Directly manage 8-12 finance staff in multiple locations including the recruitment, interview and selection of new staff, and performance reviews.
- Manage the capacity building initiatives for the Field Office finance teams
- Provide technical support for budget development to the Field Office and area bases as per Samaritan Purse Annual planning and budgeting guidelines.
- Provide timely and accurate analysis of monthly financial reports and financial trends to assist country leadership in performing their responsibilities.
- Monitor expenditures against budgets and ensure that spending is based on committed funds.
- Monitor internal controls and perform periodic assessments to identify risks associated with financial operations within the country office. Ensure timely and accurate supplier payments.
- Identify possible areas for financial and administrative improvement and recommend systems that will improve the overall efficiency and effectiveness of Samaritan’s Purse financial operations in the country office.
- Travel to field sites as needed to ensure proper implementation of finance-related policies and procedures, to perform informal assessments, to consult with and advise country managements and finance staff on field finance matters, for temporary assignments, or to perform other work assigned.
- Ensure detailed and accurate records for all financial transactions are maintained physically and electronically in an organized and professional manner
- Work closely with Human Resources to facilitate monthly payroll in multiple locations
- Coordinate all internal and external National Office audits on behalf of the Country Director
- Perform regular reviews of the audit reports and follow up on the implementation of audit recommendations.
- Attend daily morning devotions and participate in prayer support for the ministry, its donors and volunteers.
- Maintain a strong Christian witness to colleagues, vendors, charitable beneficiaries, and the general public.
- Assess, manage, and report critical physical, emotional, or spiritual concerns of supervised staff.
- Maintains a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and a consistent witness for Jesus Christ.
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year College or university with an emphasis in accounting or related field of study.
- 5+ years progressive financial management experience in a complex, dynamic environment such as a nonprofit organization with operating budgets, diverse funding streams, and substantial financial and material assets, preferred.
- CPA or equivalent certification preferred; or equivalent combination of accounting education and managerial experience.
- Knowledgeable on grant accounting and experience in donor funding requirements.
- One year of college-level Biblical studies strongly preferred.
- Ability to communicate and interact well with people of different educational, linguistic, cultural and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Strong relational skills and financial management experience, with an ability to lead and to contribute to the team.
- Proven administrative, leadership and management ability in the areas of strategic planning and organizational development.
24-month contract with the potential for renewal.
This is an unaccompanied position.
International Employee Benefits
Employees who choose to work internationally get to take advantage of the following benefits:
- Medical, prescription, dental & vision coverage
- Disability insurance
- Term Life insurance
- Retirement savings plan
- Ten paid holidays (holiday observance will depend on the host country)
- Annual home leave
- Twelve vacation days per year
Samaritan’s Purse Distinct Objectives:
PROCLAIM THE GOSPEL - EXALT Christ and share the Gospel while working in His Name around the world
SERVE WITH EXCELLENCE - EXCEED the world’s standard while serving the purposes of God’s kingdom
RESPOND WITH COMPASSIONATE ACTION - EXPEDITE our response to needs as the Lord reveals opportunities to minister
DEMONSTRATE BIBLICAL INTEGRITY - EXHIBIT character and integrity personally, at home and work
WALK IN BOLD FAITH - EXPECT God to do the impossible
Samaritan's Purse Mission Statement:
Samaritan's Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan's Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine with the purpose of sharing God's love through His Son, Jesus Christ. The organization serves the Church worldwide to promote the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Samaritan's Purse Statement of Faith:
* We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God. (1 Thessalonians 2:13; 2 Timothy 3:15-17)
* We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. (Matthew 28:19; John 10:30; Ephesians 4:4-6)
* We believe in the deity of the Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood on the cross, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory. (Matthew 1:23; John 1:1-4 and 1:29; Acts 1:11 and 2:22-24; Romans 8:34; 1 Corinthians 15:3-4; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Philippians 2:5-11; Hebrews 1:1-4 and 4:15)
* We believe that all men everywhere are lost and face the judgment of God, that Jesus Christ is the only way of salvation, and that for the salvation of lost and sinful man, repentance of sin and faith in Jesus Christ results in regeneration by the Holy Spirit. (Luke 24:46-47; John 14:6; Acts 4:12; Romans 3:23; 2 Corinthians 5:10-11; Ephesians 1:7 and 2:8-9; Titus 3:4-7)
* We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, whose indwelling enables the Christian to live a godly life. (John 3:5-8; Acts 1:8 and 4:31; Romans 8:9; 1 Corinthians 2:14; Galatians 5:16-18; Ephesians 6:12; Colossians 2:6-10)
* We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; the saved unto the resurrection of eternal life and the lost unto the resurrection of damnation and eternal punishment. (1 Corinthians 15:51-57; Revelation 20:11-15)
* We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in the Lord Jesus Christ and that all true believers are members of His body, the church. (1 Corinthians 12:12, 27; Ephesians 1:22-23)
* We believe that the ministry of evangelism and discipleship is a responsibility of all followers of Jesus Christ. (Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; Romans 10:9-15; 1 Peter 3:15)
* We believe God’s plan for human sexuality is to be expressed only within the context of marriage, that God created man and woman as unique biological persons made to complete each other. God instituted monogamous marriage between male and female as the foundation of the family and the basic structure of human society. For this reason, we believe that marriage is exclusively the union of one genetic male and one genetic female. (Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:5-6; Mark 10:6-9; Romans 1:26-27; 1 Corinthians 6:9)
* We believe that we must dedicate ourselves to prayer, to the service of our Lord, to His authority over our lives, and to the ministry of evangelism. (Matthew 9:35-38; 22:37-39, and 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; Romans 10:9-15 and 12:20-21; Galatians 6:10; Colossians 2:6-10; 1 Peter 3:15)
* We believe that human life is sacred from conception to its natural end; and that we must have concern for the physical and spiritual needs of our fellowmen. (Psalm 139:13; Isaiah 49:1; Jeremiah 1:5; Matthew 22:37-39; Romans 12:20-21; Galatians 6:10)
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 8823