Deputy Country Director, Uganda
As a critical member of the Samaritan’s Purse (SP) Uganda team, the Deputy Country Director (DCD) assists the Country Director (CD) in providing overall management to Samaritan’s Purse activities in Uganda, including program implementation and management, program reporting, staff management and team-building, strategic vision-casting as well as maintaining strong donor and government relations.
Join the team to meet the physical and spiritual needs of those we serve in several parts of Uganda. Isaiah 6:8 says "Then I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, ‘Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?’ Then I said, ‘Here am I. Send me!’" Have a career with impact, serve with us!
Description of Job duties:
- Lead a team of senior staff such as Area Coordinators and Senior Operations Manager
- Conduct appraisals and encourage professional development for all direct reports, addressing underperformance, rewarding success, identifying growth targets and mentoring staff to success
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date HR and administrative records for all supervised staff and programs
- Work closely with direct reports to build capacity and improve the technical quality of programming encouraging the use of innovative and creative approaches to identify affective evidence based program models
- Ensure all programs are implemented in accordance with agreed work plans and budgets; maintaining adherence to SP, donor and statutory guidelines and policies
- Assist the Country Director in ensuring all reporting to IHQ, SP Affiliate Offices, government and donors is timely, accurate, appropriate and of the highest quality so as to continue strengthening programs partnerships
- Assist the Country Director in strategic development of new program and projects
- Provide professional representation of SP at meetings with government, donor and civil society partners, actively and strategically engaging with stake holders to increase support and publicity for SP Programming
- Work closely with direct reports to intentionally build their capacity
- Assist the Country Director in oversight of day to day operations, including hosting teams and visitors in both Kampala and field sites
- Assist the Country Director in fostering spiritual support, encouragement and growth among all staff
- Demonstrate exemplary Christian servant leadership in all aspects of work and relationships
- Attend daily morning devotions and participate in prayer support for the ministry, its donors and volunteers.
- Maintain a strong Christian witness to colleagues, vendors, charitable beneficiaries, and the general public.
- Be an ambassador of SPSS and ensure relationships with coordination bodies are strong and the profile of SP in such forums is positive and influential.
- Maintains a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and a consistent witness for Jesus Christ.
- Master’s degree (M. A.) or equivalent in a relevant field of study; or at least five years related experience and /or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- One year of college-level Biblical studies strongly preferred.
- Willingness to travel in and out of field
- Practical and quick with excellent reasoning skills
- Possess good understanding of major donors and their perspectives, requirements and standards
- Highly organized with excellent time management skills
- Good interpersonal communication skills
- Fluent in English; both in writing and speaking
- Ability to coordinate activities with other agencies, build and maintain positive working relationships
24-month contract with the potential for renewal.
This can be an accompanied assignment.
Expected to travel up to 50% of the time to field sites to provide leadership and assist the field-based teams. Field locations vary from 3 - 10 hours’ drive one-way.
International Employee Benefits
Employees who choose to work internationally get to take advantage of the following benefits:
- Medical, prescription, dental & vision coverage
- Disability insurance
- Term Life insurance
- Retirement savings plan
- Ten paid holidays (holiday observance will depend on the host country)
- Annual home leave
- Twelve vacation days per year
Samaritan’s Purse Distinct Objectives:
PROCLAIM THE GOSPEL - EXALT Christ and share the Gospel while working in His Name around the world
SERVE WITH EXCELLENCE - EXCEED the world’s standard while serving the purposes of God’s kingdom
RESPOND WITH COMPASSIONATE ACTION - EXPEDITE our response to needs as the Lord reveals opportunities to minister
DEMONSTRATE BIBLICAL INTEGRITY - EXHIBIT character and integrity personally, at home and work
WALK IN BOLD FAITH - EXPECT God to do the impossible
Samaritan's Purse Mission Statement:
Samaritan's Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan's Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine with the purpose of sharing God's love through His Son, Jesus Christ. The organization serves the Church worldwide to promote the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Samaritan's Purse Statement of Faith:
* We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God. (1 Thessalonians 2:13; 2 Timothy 3:15-17)
* We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. (Matthew 28:19; John 10:30; Ephesians 4:4-6)
* We believe in the deity of the Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood on the cross, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory. (Matthew 1:23; John 1:1-4 and 1:29; Acts 1:11 and 2:22-24; Romans 8:34; 1 Corinthians 15:3-4; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Philippians 2:5-11; Hebrews 1:1-4 and 4:15)
* We believe that all men everywhere are lost and face the judgment of God, that Jesus Christ is the only way of salvation, and that for the salvation of lost and sinful man, repentance of sin and faith in Jesus Christ results in regeneration by the Holy Spirit. (Luke 24:46-47; John 14:6; Acts 4:12; Romans 3:23; 2 Corinthians 5:10-11; Ephesians 1:7 and 2:8-9; Titus 3:4-7)
* We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, whose indwelling enables the Christian to live a godly life. (John 3:5-8; Acts 1:8 and 4:31; Romans 8:9; 1 Corinthians 2:14; Galatians 5:16-18; Ephesians 6:12; Colossians 2:6-10)
* We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; the saved unto the resurrection of eternal life and the lost unto the resurrection of damnation and eternal punishment. (1 Corinthians 15:51-57; Revelation 20:11-15)
* We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in the Lord Jesus Christ and that all true believers are members of His body, the church. (1 Corinthians 12:12, 27; Ephesians 1:22-23)
* We believe that the ministry of evangelism and discipleship is a responsibility of all followers of Jesus Christ. (Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; Romans 10:9-15; 1 Peter 3:15)
* We believe God’s plan for human sexuality is to be expressed only within the context of marriage, that God created man and woman as unique biological persons made to complete each other. God instituted monogamous marriage between male and female as the foundation of the family and the basic structure of human society. For this reason, we believe that marriage is exclusively the union of one genetic male and one genetic female. (Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:5-6; Mark 10:6-9; Romans 1:26-27; 1 Corinthians 6:9)
* We believe that we must dedicate ourselves to prayer, to the service of our Lord, to His authority over our lives, and to the ministry of evangelism. (Matthew 9:35-38; 22:37-39, and 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; Romans 10:9-15 and 12:20-21; Galatians 6:10; Colossians 2:6-10; 1 Peter 3:15)
* We believe that human life is sacred from conception to its natural end; and that we must have concern for the physical and spiritual needs of our fellowmen. (Psalm 139:13; Isaiah 49:1; Jeremiah 1:5; Matthew 22:37-39; Romans 12:20-21; Galatians 6:10)
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 8498