Deputy Country Director, Cambodia
Samaritan’s Purse is seeking a Deputy Country Director (DCD) to serve in Cambodia. The DCD is responsible for supporting the Country Director (CD) in activities that promote the success of Samaritan’s Purse Cambodia field programs and staff development. As the DCD you will have the opportunity to be involved in the management of government and donor relations, program design, program implementation and evaluation, management of grants and budgets and provide support to field staff.
Samaritan’s Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan’s Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine with the purpose of sharing God’s love through His Son, Jesus Christ. The organization serves the Church worldwide to promote the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.
*This position is based in Cambodia (Phnom Penh). Position requires up to 30% travel in the field.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain a personal, active relationship with Jesus Christ and be a consistent witness for Jesus Christ.
- Periodically visit SP Cambodia field sites and sub offices to provide field staff support, address challenges and explore potential program possibilities.
- In conjunction with the CD, serve as the point of contact for program development, in proactively developing new programming that will achieve the vision and objectives of SP Cambodia and evaluate all existing and potential programs for their compliance to this strategy and vision.
- Assist Program Managers in identifying potential needs, writing proposals and projecting budgets for submission to the CD
- Work closely with the Finance Manager to develop and monitor appropriate/adequate budgets to support technical activities, ensuring resources are used in the most effective and efficient way.
- Offer oversight to Program Managers to ensure that monitoring and evaluation (M&E) of projects is conducted in accordance with organizational policies and procedures and ensure that M&E is included in the work plans of projects.
- Monitors potential and current emergencies and keep CD informed of events, including crisis response options and opportunities.
- Coordinate the collation of monthly and quarterly field reports from Program Managers and SP Partner Programs and ensure on-time reporting to IHQ, affiliate offices and grantors.
- Serve as liaison and representative for SP Cambodia, building relationships with government officials, dignitaries, other NGOs
- Act as the field host for all visiting teams, groups or persons. Communicate, plan and set itineraries and organize logistics for these visitors.
- Assist the Country Director and Administration Manager in implementing and training field staff on SP policy and ensure compliance to corporate / national guidelines.
- Increase the spiritual development of staff and ensure projects maintain their ministry focus and effectiveness.
- Oversee and manage the internship program in the Samaritan’s Purse Cambodia office.
- Maintain a strong Christian witness to colleagues, vendors, charitable beneficiaries, and the general public.
- In the absence of the Country Director, serve as interim Country Director.
- All other duties as assigned
The DCD will manage and supervise both Expat and National Staff. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from a 4 year college or university; a minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in management, leadership & team-building; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3-5 years’ experience in project management and/or financial management; including proposal writing, program development and implementation.
- Possess a clear understanding of the workings of major donors and their perspectives, requirements and standards.
- Experience working with government entities, understanding laws and regulations
- Previous experience living and working in an international context (preferably in Asian cultures)
- Excellent planning and organizational skills; yet flexible and adaptable to frequently changing priorities
- Spiritual maturity; ability to keep the focus of work on the overall goal of sharing the Gospel.
- Strong communication skills and ability to interact well with people of varying educational, linguistic, cultural and socio-economic backgrounds
- Works well in a diverse team; an encourager with concern for the spiritual well-being of the team.
- Fluent spoken and written English required; ability to speak or learn Khmer is a plus
- Twelve (12) credit hours of college-level Biblical Studies required
- Medical, prescription, dental & vision coverage
- Disability insurance
- Term Life insurance
- Retirement savings plan (after 1 year)
- 10 paid holidays (observed based on host country calendar)
- 12 vacation days per year
- Annual home leave
Samaritan’s Purse Distinct Objectives:
PROCLAIM THE GOSPEL - EXALT Christ and share the Gospel while working in His Name around the world
SERVE WITH EXCELLENCE - EXCEED the world’s standard while serving the purposes of God’s kingdom
RESPOND WITH COMPASSIONATE ACTION - EXPEDITE our response to needs as the Lord reveals opportunities to minister
DEMONSTRATE BIBLICAL INTEGRITY - EXHIBIT character and integrity personally, at home and work
WALK IN BOLD FAITH - EXPECT God to do the impossible
Samaritan's Purse Mission Statement:
Samaritan's Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan's Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine with the purpose of sharing God's love through His Son, Jesus Christ. The organization serves the Church worldwide to promote the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Samaritan's Purse Statement of Faith:
* We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God. (1 Thessalonians 2:13; 2 Timothy 3:15-17)
* We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. (Matthew 28:19; John 10:30; Ephesians 4:4-6)
* We believe in the deity of the Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood on the cross, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory. (Matthew 1:23; John 1:1-4 and 1:29; Acts 1:11 and 2:22-24; Romans 8:34; 1 Corinthians 15:3-4; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Philippians 2:5-11; Hebrews 1:1-4 and 4:15)
* We believe that all men everywhere are lost and face the judgment of God, that Jesus Christ is the only way of salvation, and that for the salvation of lost and sinful man, repentance of sin and faith in Jesus Christ results in regeneration by the Holy Spirit. (Luke 24:46-47; John 14:6; Acts 4:12; Romans 3:23; 2 Corinthians 5:10-11; Ephesians 1:7 and 2:8-9; Titus 3:4-7)
* We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, whose indwelling enables the Christian to live a godly life. (John 3:5-8; Acts 1:8 and 4:31; Romans 8:9; 1 Corinthians 2:14; Galatians 5:16-18; Ephesians 6:12; Colossians 2:6-10)
* We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; the saved unto the resurrection of eternal life and the lost unto the resurrection of damnation and eternal punishment. (1 Corinthians 15:51-57; Revelation 20:11-15)
* We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in the Lord Jesus Christ and that all true believers are members of His body, the church. (1 Corinthians 12:12, 27; Ephesians 1:22-23)
* We believe that the ministry of evangelism and discipleship is a responsibility of all followers of Jesus Christ. (Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; Romans 10:9-15; 1 Peter 3:15)
* We believe God’s plan for human sexuality is to be expressed only within the context of marriage, that God created man and woman as unique biological persons made to complete each other. God instituted monogamous marriage between male and female as the foundation of the family and the basic structure of human society. For this reason, we believe that marriage is exclusively the union of one genetic male and one genetic female. (Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:5-6; Mark 10:6-9; Romans 1:26-27; 1 Corinthians 6:9)
* We believe that we must dedicate ourselves to prayer, to the service of our Lord, to His authority over our lives, and to the ministry of evangelism. (Matthew 9:35-38; 22:37-39, and 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; Romans 10:9-15 and 12:20-21; Galatians 6:10; Colossians 2:6-10; 1 Peter 3:15)
* We believe that human life is sacred from conception to its natural end; and that we must have concern for the physical and spiritual needs of our fellowmen. (Psalm 139:13; Isaiah 49:1; Jeremiah 1:5; Matthew 22:37-39; Romans 12:20-21; Galatians 6:10)
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 10549