DC8 Captain, Mission Aviation Services
Whether it's taking an emergency field hospital and medical personnel to earthquake victims or delivering supplies to tornado or flooding victims, our DC-8 cargo plane is there. Members of the aviation team are critical to the mission of meeting the physical and spiritual needs of people around the world. You could have a Career With Impact as a Captain.
The position conducts flights in accordance with Samaritan’s Purse Mission Aviation Services procedures and all applicable US and foreign regulations and represents Samaritan’s Purse with business associates, officials, and stakeholders through a service-oriented attitude toward passengers’ needs, comfort, and safety.
- Maintain a strong Christian witness to colleagues, passengers, vendors, charitable beneficiaries, and the general public.
- Attend morning devotions and participate in prayer support for the ministry, its donors and volunteers.
- Maintain personal knowledge of the aircraft, AOM, COM, QRH, government regulations, and other air transportation policies and procedures to ensure the highest level of readiness and professional skill as a pilot.
- Conduct each flight in accordance with FAR’s and policies and procedures per Operating Manual to ensure safety of personnel and equipment on the ground and in flight.
- Communicate as necessary with Chief Pilot to facilitate safe and successful completion of each flight.
- Evaluate conditions for each assigned flight. Make final decision to begin, delay or cancel flight. Ensure the aircraft is in an airworthy condition prior to operation; review Airplane Flight Log Form and confirm Director of Maintenance or qualified aircraft technician has affixed his signature and date, at bottom right of form, showing aircraft is airworthy and in safe condition for flight.
- Ensure that any mechanical irregularities are recorded on Airplane Flight Log Form Discrepancy Field for particular flight. Notify Director of Maintenance who is responsible for ensuring proper corrective actions are taken.
- Initiate and perform all emergency procedures necessary to control safe flight of aircraft. Delegate certain duties to SIC in the event of an emergency situation.
- Delegate to First Officer, (FO/SIC) any duties necessary for the safe and efficient operation of the flight.
- Compute the Weight and Balance for each flight mission by visually checking each item listed on the Load Manifest in accordance with the I Fly program using the Load Manifest for that mission. Ensure the CG is within allowable limits for all regimes of flight.
- Position requires flexibility to be ready and available to travel anywhere in the world (24/7) at a moment’s notice.
None except operationally, when deployed for flight as PIC.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Four year college or university program certificate; or two to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Twelve credit hours of college-level Biblical studies strongly preferred.
- Air Transport Pilot Certificate (ATP) required.
- 5,000 hours minimum total time across all aircraft required.
- DC8 Type Rating preferred.
- Heavy multi-engine jet and international/transoceanic experience preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Maintain current Aviation First Class Medical Certificate
- Valid ATP-AMEL (Airline Transport Pilot - Aircraft Multi-Engine Land)
- DC8 type rating
- FCC Restricted Radio Permit
- Must maintain currency in the aircraft types assigned.
Full Benefits Package including:
- Medical, prescription, dental & vision insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Long-term and short-term disability insurance
- Term Life insurance
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Paid vacation/holidays/sick leave
- Relocation Package available (not a remote position)
Location: Greensboro, NC
Samaritan’s Purse Distinct Objectives:
PROCLAIM THE GOSPEL - EXALT Christ and share the Gospel while working in His Name around the world
SERVE WITH EXCELLENCE - EXCEED the world’s standard while serving the purposes of God’s kingdom
RESPOND WITH COMPASSIONATE ACTION - EXPEDITE our response to needs as the Lord reveals opportunities to minister
DEMONSTRATE BIBLICAL INTEGRITY - EXHIBIT character and integrity personally, at home and work
WALK IN BOLD FAITH - EXPECT God to do the impossible
Samaritan's Purse Mission Statement:
Samaritan's Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan's Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine with the purpose of sharing God's love through His Son, Jesus Christ. The organization serves the Church worldwide to promote the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Samaritan's Purse Statement of Faith:
* We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God. (1 Thessalonians 2:13; 2 Timothy 3:15-17)
* We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. (Matthew 28:19; John 10:30; Ephesians 4:4-6)
* We believe in the deity of the Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood on the cross, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory. (Matthew 1:23; John 1:1-4 and 1:29; Acts 1:11 and 2:22-24; Romans 8:34; 1 Corinthians 15:3-4; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Philippians 2:5-11; Hebrews 1:1-4 and 4:15)
* We believe that all men everywhere are lost and face the judgment of God, that Jesus Christ is the only way of salvation, and that for the salvation of lost and sinful man, repentance of sin and faith in Jesus Christ results in regeneration by the Holy Spirit. (Luke 24:46-47; John 14:6; Acts 4:12; Romans 3:23; 2 Corinthians 5:10-11; Ephesians 1:7 and 2:8-9; Titus 3:4-7)
* We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, whose indwelling enables the Christian to live a godly life. (John 3:5-8; Acts 1:8 and 4:31; Romans 8:9; 1 Corinthians 2:14; Galatians 5:16-18; Ephesians 6:12; Colossians 2:6-10)
* We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; the saved unto the resurrection of eternal life and the lost unto the resurrection of damnation and eternal punishment. (1 Corinthians 15:51-57; Revelation 20:11-15)
* We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in the Lord Jesus Christ and that all true believers are members of His body, the church. (1 Corinthians 12:12, 27; Ephesians 1:22-23)
* We believe that the ministry of evangelism and discipleship is a responsibility of all followers of Jesus Christ. (Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; Romans 10:9-15; 1 Peter 3:15)
* We believe God’s plan for human sexuality is to be expressed only within the context of marriage, that God created man and woman as unique biological persons made to complete each other. God instituted monogamous marriage between male and female as the foundation of the family and the basic structure of human society. For this reason, we believe that marriage is exclusively the union of one genetic male and one genetic female. (Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:5-6; Mark 10:6-9; Romans 1:26-27; 1 Corinthians 6:9)
* We believe that we must dedicate ourselves to prayer, to the service of our Lord, to His authority over our lives, and to the ministry of evangelism. (Matthew 9:35-38; 22:37-39, and 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; Romans 10:9-15 and 12:20-21; Galatians 6:10; Colossians 2:6-10; 1 Peter 3:15)
* We believe that human life is sacred from conception to its natural end; and that we must have concern for the physical and spiritual needs of our fellowmen. (Psalm 139:13; Isaiah 49:1; Jeremiah 1:5; Matthew 22:37-39; Romans 12:20-21; Galatians 6:10)