Aviation Program Director - Mission Aviation Services East Africa
Samaritan’s Purse (SP) is making a difference in the lives of people in East and Central Africa. SP is currently helping nearly 400,000 refugees monthly in South Sudan. Roads in this region are often poor or non-existent. Civil unrest, bandits and war make movement on the ground difficult or dangerous. Most often, the best and safest way to get there is to use aircraft. The Program Director of Mission Aviation Services, East Africa, is responsible for ensuring SP’s DC-3TP and two Cessna Grand Caravan aircraft safely and reliably support its Christian relief and development work in that area.
- We are looking for a leader with 3 or more years of management and administration experience in expeditionary aviation to lead our East Africa aviation program.
- Ideally, the candidate will have 2 years of living and/or working overseas with bush flying experience.
- Desired but not required: FAA Commercial Pilot SEL and MEL, Instrument licenses with a 1st Class Medical. 3000 flight hours, 1,000 of which as PIC. However, if the candidate has substantial aviation leadership and management experience, the pilot requirements could be waived and this could be a non-flying position.
- Must maintain a personal relationship with and be a consistent witness for Jesus Christ.
- Fifth year college or university program certificate; or two to four years’ related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Twelve credit hours of college-level Biblical studies desired but not required.
- Directly responsible for the overall flight operations, maintenance, and administration of SP MAS East Africa.
- Develop, implement, and administer policies, procedures and processes as necessary to ensure a safe, reliable, and economical air transport services are provided to our customers.
- Supervise a team of approximately 10 expatriate and 15 national staff; ensure all staff receive timely personnel reviews.
- Ensure proper, accurate reporting from all departments to appropriate agencies and SP leadership as required.
- Ensure a safe, regulatory compliant organizational culture while maintaining mission focus.
- Coordinate with local, national, and international government agencies and organizations such as FAA, KCAA, KAA to make sure proper manuals and policies are in place and adhered to.
- Align operations to support SP and other customer’s needs; be proactive to communicate and respond with them in a timely manner.
- Produce an annual budget; oversee financial processes, and control costs.
- Responsible for aircraft meeting an 80% operational readiness rate by creating and executing staffing plan, maintenance plan, and logistics plan.
- Attend devotions and participate in prayer support for the ministry, its donors and volunteers.
- Maintain a strong Christian witness to colleagues, vendors, charitable beneficiaries, and general public.
- Assess, manage, and report critical physical, emotional, or spiritual concerns of supervised staff.
Directly supervises 10 expatriate and 15 national employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Location: Entebbe, Uganda or Eldoret, Kenya
Full Benefit Package, including:
- Medical, prescription, dental & vision insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Long term and short term disability insurance
- Term Life insurance
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Paid holidays, vacation, sick leave
Samaritan’s Purse Distinct Objectives:
PROCLAIM THE GOSPEL - EXALT Christ and share the Gospel while working in His Name around the world
SERVE WITH EXCELLENCE - EXCEED the world’s standard while serving the purposes of God’s kingdom
RESPOND WITH COMPASSIONATE ACTION - EXPEDITE our response to needs as the Lord reveals opportunities to minister
DEMONSTRATE BIBLICAL INTEGRITY - EXHIBIT character and integrity personally, at home and work
WALK IN BOLD FAITH - EXPECT God to do the impossible
Samaritan's Purse Mission Statement:
Samaritan's Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan's Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine with the purpose of sharing God's love through His Son, Jesus Christ. The organization serves the Church worldwide to promote the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Samaritan's Purse Statement of Faith:
* We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God. (1 Thessalonians 2:13; 2 Timothy 3:15-17)
* We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. (Matthew 28:19; John 10:30; Ephesians 4:4-6)
* We believe in the deity of the Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood on the cross, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory. (Matthew 1:23; John 1:1-4 and 1:29; Acts 1:11 and 2:22-24; Romans 8:34; 1 Corinthians 15:3-4; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Philippians 2:5-11; Hebrews 1:1-4 and 4:15)
* We believe that all men everywhere are lost and face the judgment of God, that Jesus Christ is the only way of salvation, and that for the salvation of lost and sinful man, repentance of sin and faith in Jesus Christ results in regeneration by the Holy Spirit. (Luke 24:46-47; John 14:6; Acts 4:12; Romans 3:23; 2 Corinthians 5:10-11; Ephesians 1:7 and 2:8-9; Titus 3:4-7)
* We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, whose indwelling enables the Christian to live a godly life. (John 3:5-8; Acts 1:8 and 4:31; Romans 8:9; 1 Corinthians 2:14; Galatians 5:16-18; Ephesians 6:12; Colossians 2:6-10)
* We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; the saved unto the resurrection of eternal life and the lost unto the resurrection of damnation and eternal punishment. (1 Corinthians 15:51-57; Revelation 20:11-15)
* We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in the Lord Jesus Christ and that all true believers are members of His body, the church. (1 Corinthians 12:12, 27; Ephesians 1:22-23)
* We believe that the ministry of evangelism and discipleship is a responsibility of all followers of Jesus Christ. (Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; Romans 10:9-15; 1 Peter 3:15)
* We believe God’s plan for human sexuality is to be expressed only within the context of marriage, that God created man and woman as unique biological persons made to complete each other. God instituted monogamous marriage between male and female as the foundation of the family and the basic structure of human society. For this reason, we believe that marriage is exclusively the union of one genetic male and one genetic female. (Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:5-6; Mark 10:6-9; Romans 1:26-27; 1 Corinthians 6:9)
* We believe that we must dedicate ourselves to prayer, to the service of our Lord, to His authority over our lives, and to the ministry of evangelism. (Matthew 9:35-38; 22:37-39, and 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; Romans 10:9-15 and 12:20-21; Galatians 6:10; Colossians 2:6-10; 1 Peter 3:15)
* We believe that human life is sacred from conception to its natural end; and that we must have concern for the physical and spiritual needs of our fellowmen. (Psalm 139:13; Isaiah 49:1; Jeremiah 1:5; Matthew 22:37-39; Romans 12:20-21; Galatians 6:10)