Area Coordinator - Dominica
Hurricane Maria left the island of Dominica devastated. Samaritan’s Purse is currently providing clean water and shelters to islanders recovering from the aftermath of this natural disaster. Click here to discover more about our work on the island! Help demonstrate the love of Christ in a tangible way by serving as an Area Coordinator in Dominica!
As an Area Coordinator, you will be given the opportunity to be responsible for the overall leadership, direction, and oversight of programs on Dominica, and must ensure that all program designs and outputs align with Samaritan’s Purse’s strategy, donor standards, and local laws. Other essential duties include the management of: Operations, Security, Human Resources, Financial Reporting, and Community Relations.
- Work directly with the program manager to address programmatic challenges.
- Adjust implementation strategies as necessary for successful program outputs.
- Ensure the program is contributing a significant impact through monitoring and evaluation.
- Complete weekly and monthly program reports.
- Review Quarterly and Final reports for external donors.
- Coordinate assessments and gather information.
- Prioritize high need areas and sectors.
- Assist with new program proposals and budget writing.
- Prioritize needs for resource sharing with Samaritan's Purse assets.
- Ensure accountable and efficient systems are in place.
- Approve international purchase requests.
- Audit procurement systems, pricing, and inventory on a monthly basis.
- Update evacuation and contingency plans frequently.
- Conduct regular security meetings with national and international staff.
- Assess risk and, in coordination with the senior management team, determine areas of safe operation.
- Enforce safety and security policies and procedures.
- Ensure staff morale is high.
- Track and approve expatriate leave time.
- Conduct performance evaluations for staff that are directly managed.
- Resolve staff disputes and disagreements, and enforce disciplinary measures as necessary.
- Work with the Field Accountant to produce funds requests and spending forecasts.
- Approve funding requests and payments.
- Review program activity reports to ensure proper expense allocation.
- Conduct surprise cash counts.
- Ensure that Samaritan's Purse is accepted by the community.
- Coordinate with Government, NGO’s and agencies to avoid overlap and identify programming gaps.
- Attend attend daily morning devotions and participate in prayer support for the ministry, its donors and volunteers.
- Maintains a personal relationship with Jesus Christ; is a consistent witness for Jesus Christ.
- Bachelor’s degree; or 3 to 4 years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- One year of college-level Biblical studies preferred.
- International relief program management experience.
- Demonstrated success in leading large cross-cultural teams.
- Gifted with organizational skills and cross-cultural communication.
- Ability to assess, manage, and report critical physical, emotional, or spiritual concerns of supervised staff.
- Experienced in managing multiple programs.
- Previous experience working overseas.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable.
- Understanding of local culture is essential.
- Knowledge of computer systems and its applications such as Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Willingness to travel and stay in the field for extended periods.
- Ability to drive a standard transmission vehicle in rough road and extremely muddy conditions.
- Medical, prescription, dental & vision coverage
- Disability insurance
- Term Life insurance
- Retirement savings plan
- Ten paid holidays (holiday observance will depend on the host country)
- Twelve vacation days per year
*Unable to accommodate family or spouse
Samaritan’s Purse Distinct Objectives:
PROCLAIM THE GOSPEL - EXALT Christ and share the Gospel while working in His Name around the world
SERVE WITH EXCELLENCE - EXCEED the world’s standard while serving the purposes of God’s kingdom
RESPOND WITH COMPASSIONATE ACTION - EXPEDITE our response to needs as the Lord reveals opportunities to minister
DEMONSTRATE BIBLICAL INTEGRITY - EXHIBIT character and integrity personally, at home and work
WALK IN BOLD FAITH - EXPECT God to do the impossible
Samaritan's Purse Mission Statement:
Samaritan's Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan's Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine with the purpose of sharing God's love through His Son, Jesus Christ. The organization serves the Church worldwide to promote the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Samaritan's Purse Statement of Faith:
* We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God. (1 Thessalonians 2:13; 2 Timothy 3:15-17)
* We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. (Matthew 28:19; John 10:30; Ephesians 4:4-6)
* We believe in the deity of the Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood on the cross, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory. (Matthew 1:23; John 1:1-4 and 1:29; Acts 1:11 and 2:22-24; Romans 8:34; 1 Corinthians 15:3-4; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Philippians 2:5-11; Hebrews 1:1-4 and 4:15)
* We believe that all men everywhere are lost and face the judgment of God, that Jesus Christ is the only way of salvation, and that for the salvation of lost and sinful man, repentance of sin and faith in Jesus Christ results in regeneration by the Holy Spirit. (Luke 24:46-47; John 14:6; Acts 4:12; Romans 3:23; 2 Corinthians 5:10-11; Ephesians 1:7 and 2:8-9; Titus 3:4-7)
* We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, whose indwelling enables the Christian to live a godly life. (John 3:5-8; Acts 1:8 and 4:31; Romans 8:9; 1 Corinthians 2:14; Galatians 5:16-18; Ephesians 6:12; Colossians 2:6-10)
* We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; the saved unto the resurrection of eternal life and the lost unto the resurrection of damnation and eternal punishment. (1 Corinthians 15:51-57; Revelation 20:11-15)
* We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in the Lord Jesus Christ and that all true believers are members of His body, the church. (1 Corinthians 12:12, 27; Ephesians 1:22-23)
* We believe that the ministry of evangelism and discipleship is a responsibility of all followers of Jesus Christ. (Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; Romans 10:9-15; 1 Peter 3:15)
* We believe God’s plan for human sexuality is to be expressed only within the context of marriage, that God created man and woman as unique biological persons made to complete each other. God instituted monogamous marriage between male and female as the foundation of the family and the basic structure of human society. For this reason, we believe that marriage is exclusively the union of one genetic male and one genetic female. (Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:5-6; Mark 10:6-9; Romans 1:26-27; 1 Corinthians 6:9)
* We believe that we must dedicate ourselves to prayer, to the service of our Lord, to His authority over our lives, and to the ministry of evangelism. (Matthew 9:35-38; 22:37-39, and 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; Romans 10:9-15 and 12:20-21; Galatians 6:10; Colossians 2:6-10; 1 Peter 3:15)
* We believe that human life is sacred from conception to its natural end; and that we must have concern for the physical and spiritual needs of our fellowmen. (Psalm 139:13; Isaiah 49:1; Jeremiah 1:5; Matthew 22:37-39; Romans 12:20-21; Galatians 6:10)