Samaritan's Purse is a non-denominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. For over 40 years, Samaritan's Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine with the purpose of sharing God's love through His Son, Jesus Christ. If you are searching for a Career with Impact come see how we serve! Samaritan’s Purse has an opening for a prep cook.
The prep cook prepares and serves food for SP employees and guests in accordance with nutritional and sanitary standards using menus and recipes approved by the Food Services Manager, while adhering to all policies including minimum waste, food safety and sanitation.
Job Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Prepares and serves food according to approved menus and standardized recipes while keeping waste to a minimum.
Puts away dry stock in the storeroom, refrigerated food in cooler and frozen foods in the freezer when delivered by food service vendors.
Turns on all equipment needed for daily prep (steamer, food warmers, ovens, hoods and tilt skillet).
Monitors food quality using Food Safe methods as directed.
Helps maintain an orderly, clean kitchen, eating and service areas, storage, and cooler/freezer facilities.
Assists with serving meals in appropriate portions. Notifies manager when quantities are low.
Assists frontline cooks and grill cook as necessary (on a shift basis).
Distributes prepped and serve-ready food to the line.
Keeps soup and soup bowls stocked and area clean.
Keeps condiment tables clean and stocked.
Follow policies and procedures of Samaritan’s Purse as set forth in the Policy Manual.
Attends daily morning devotions and participates in prayer support for the ministry, its donors and volunteers.
Maintains a strong Christian witness to colleagues, vendors, charitable beneficiaries, and the general public.
Marginal Duties and Responsibilities
- Must be able to convey a positive and professional image to the public and to SP employees; maintains clean, neat appearance.
- Preps and serves food and beverages to guests at caterings, special events and banquets as scheduled.
- Assists in transportation of food dishes, utensils and service ware to function destinations. Assists in setup as directed.
- Keeps all Food Service equipment in the prep area, sanitized and properly stored at the end of each shift. Mops prep area floors.
- Keeps manager apprised of problems or situations that arise, such as product shortages or special order need or repair and maintenance needs
- Assist in washing dishes, glassware, silverware, pots/pans after meals. Collect and return dirty dishes to washing area. Remove trash and break down boxes.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must maintain a personal relationship with and be a consistent witness for Jesus Christ, as well as able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Knowledgeable in use of Food Service equipment including ovens, stovetop, tilt skillet, mixer, slicer, and knives and Food Service techniques/vernacular as well.
- Knowledge of the methods, principles, processes, materials, techniques and equipment used in quantity food preparation and customer service
- Knowledge of proper food storage and handling techniques as well as the quality, safety and sanitary standards involved in food preparation
- Knowledge of production and processing including cost controls and other techniques for effective operations
- Knowledge and experience in assessing, coordinating and preparing food prep levels
- Knowledge of principles and processes of providing customer satisfaction
- Must be able to perform basic math functions
- Social perceptiveness, understanding of others
- Service orientation actively looking for ways to help other people and develop constructive and cooperative working relationships
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High School Diploma or equivalent; and one to three years’ experience in food preparation. Food Safe certification preferred.
Employees who work within the U.S. get to take advantage of the following benefits:
- Medical, prescription, dental & vision insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Long term and short term disability insurance
- Term Life insurance
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Ten paid holidays
Samaritan’s Purse Distinct Objectives:
PROCLAIM THE GOSPEL - EXALT Christ and share the Gospel while working in His Name around the world
SERVE WITH EXCELLENCE - EXCEED the world’s standard while serving the purposes of God’s kingdom
RESPOND WITH COMPASSIONATE ACTION - EXPEDITE our response to needs as the Lord reveals opportunities to minister
DEMONSTRATE BIBLICAL INTEGRITY - EXHIBIT character and integrity personally, at home and work
WALK IN BOLD FAITH - EXPECT God to do the impossible
Samaritan's Purse Mission Statement:
Samaritan's Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan's Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine with the purpose of sharing God's love through His Son, Jesus Christ. The organization serves the Church worldwide to promote the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Samaritan's Purse Statement of Faith:
* We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God. (1 Thessalonians 2:13; 2 Timothy 3:15-17)
* We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. (Matthew 28:19; John 10:30; Ephesians 4:4-6)
* We believe in the deity of the Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood on the cross, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory. (Matthew 1:23; John 1:1-4 and 1:29; Acts 1:11 and 2:22-24; Romans 8:34; 1 Corinthians 15:3-4; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Philippians 2:5-11; Hebrews 1:1-4 and 4:15)
* We believe that all men everywhere are lost and face the judgment of God, that Jesus Christ is the only way of salvation, and that for the salvation of lost and sinful man, repentance of sin and faith in Jesus Christ results in regeneration by the Holy Spirit. (Luke 24:46-47; John 14:6; Acts 4:12; Romans 3:23; 2 Corinthians 5:10-11; Ephesians 1:7 and 2:8-9; Titus 3:4-7)
* We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, whose indwelling enables the Christian to live a godly life. (John 3:5-8; Acts 1:8 and 4:31; Romans 8:9; 1 Corinthians 2:14; Galatians 5:16-18; Ephesians 6:12; Colossians 2:6-10)
* We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; the saved unto the resurrection of eternal life and the lost unto the resurrection of damnation and eternal punishment. (1 Corinthians 15:51-57; Revelation 20:11-15)
* We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in the Lord Jesus Christ and that all true believers are members of His body, the church. (1 Corinthians 12:12, 27; Ephesians 1:22-23)
* We believe that the ministry of evangelism and discipleship is a responsibility of all followers of Jesus Christ. (Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; Romans 10:9-15; 1 Peter 3:15)
* We believe God’s plan for human sexuality is to be expressed only within the context of marriage, that God created man and woman as unique biological persons made to complete each other. God instituted monogamous marriage between male and female as the foundation of the family and the basic structure of human society. For this reason, we believe that marriage is exclusively the union of one genetic male and one genetic female. (Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:5-6; Mark 10:6-9; Romans 1:26-27; 1 Corinthians 6:9)
* We believe that we must dedicate ourselves to prayer, to the service of our Lord, to His authority over our lives, and to the ministry of evangelism. (Matthew 9:35-38; 22:37-39, and 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; Romans 10:9-15 and 12:20-21; Galatians 6:10; Colossians 2:6-10; 1 Peter 3:15)
* We believe that human life is sacred from conception to its natural end; and that we must have concern for the physical and spiritual needs of our fellowmen. (Psalm 139:13; Isaiah 49:1; Jeremiah 1:5; Matthew 22:37-39; Romans 12:20-21; Galatians 6:10)
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 7770