Monitoring & Evaluation Officer
Samaritan’s Purse (SP) is looking for a Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) Officer for our office in South Sudan. We have the opportunity to serve the South Sudanese and Sudanese people by bringing them physical aid, but most importantly, spiritual aid through sharing the good news of Jesus Christ.
Serving on the M&E team, you will be tasked with ensuring our programming is reaching the goals we’ve set out as an organization, and in accordance to our donor’s standards. This is vital as we believe through excellence in our work, people will see Christ at work.
Description of Job duties:
- Provide overall Management for the design and implementation of the M&E system in Unity State, working closely with other staff, consultants and partners and provide progress updates to the Area Coordinator, donors and Key stakeholders.
- Assist program staff in ensuring monitoring tools and M&E plans are incorporated in the proposal writing stage for Unity State.
- Identify programming information gaps which need to be addressed in order to better facilitate overall humanitarian response.
- Design M&E strategies for SP field program in Unity State ensuring that all activities and results meet quality standards for UNHCR, SPHERE, WHO or other standards where appropriate and are in line with SP’s Program Management Field Operation Guide.
- Assist Program Managers to develop and then implement realistic monitoring plans for individual programs that capture quantitative and qualitative data for comparison against goals and objectives.
- Ensure M&E methodologies and reports are approved by SPs Program Development Division (AMT).
- Select and incorporate appropriate and internationally standardized performance indicators, such as Food Consumption Score (FCS), Coping Strategies Index (CSI), Household Hunger Scale (HHs) for integration into on-going monitoring activities.
- Assist Program Managers in routine monitoring of their projects and ensuring that activity information is collected in an efficient and timely manner and is in line with SP PM FOG requirements.
- Maintain an effective information database for projects which should include activities, results, targets and progress reports.
- Serve as the primary point person for all monitoring and evaluation related work
- Take the lead in formal research activities (i.e. surveys both quantitative and qualitative)
- Develop and refine various data collection instruments (both quantitative and qualitative) and maintain a results database to aggregate data.
- Train and/or participate in rapid needs assessments, baselines and evaluations to inform program design.
- Train and assist program field staff to conduct surveys using appropriate standardized methods.
- Take the lead in the use of Mobile Data Collection ( MDC) for activity and results monitoring
- Manage the information-gathering process for results and performance results, in addition to other briefings, summaries, papers, presentations, etc. for various audiences as needed.
- Support Program Managers to produce reports (monthly, quarterly, annual, final) in a timely manner which accurately reflects field level conditions and programming impact against objectives which document good practices, lessons learned trends, and implementation issues, etc.
- Organize training to build capacity of staff on M&E topics such as data collection, management and analysis, and report writing techniques to ensure compliance with donor standards.
- Facilitate evaluation sessions with Program staff on lessons learned, program performance and work plans in partnership with relevant stakeholders.
- Provide training to program staff in the use of Mobile Data Collection (MDC) equipment for project monitoring purposes
- Attend daily morning devotions and participate in prayer support for the ministry, its donors and volunteers.
- Maintain a strong Christian witness to colleagues, vendors, charitable beneficiaries, and the general public.
- Assess, manage, and report critical physical, emotional, or spiritual concerns of supervised staff.
- Maintains a personal relationship with Jesus Christ; is a consistent witness for Jesus Christ.
- A minimum of a Bachelors’ degree in development related subjects preferable, such as Economics or Statistics with a minimum of 2 years in Monitoring and evaluation.
- One year of college-level Biblical studies preferred.
- Demonstrates substantial experience in an M&E or programming role.
- Communication and analytical skills.
- Computer skills especially statistical analysis using SPSS, MS Access, STATA, Excel, among others.
- Demonstrated ability in Data Collection, Data Management and Analysis.
- Experience of conducting project evaluations including using survey methodologies of Cluster and LQAS.
- Good knowledge of project cycle management and development.
- Arabic language skills preferred but not required.
- Experience managing staff preferred
- Experience living and working in challenging settings
- Perform activities of moderate physical activity and somewhat strenuous daily activities of a primarily administrative nature.
- Camp in remote field sites
- Ride in light vehicles over rough terrain
- May travel in country with exposure to communicable diseases, hot and humid weather conditions.
12 month contract with the potential for renewal.
This is an unaccompanied position.
International Employee Benefits
Employees who choose to work internationally get to take advantage of the following benefits:
- Medical, prescription, dental & vision coverage
- Disability insurance
- Term Life insurance
- Retirement savings plan
- Ten paid holidays (holiday observance will depend on the host country)
- Annual home leave
- Twelve vacation days per year
Samaritan’s Purse Distinct Objectives:
PROCLAIM THE GOSPEL - EXALT Christ and share the Gospel while working in His Name around the world
SERVE WITH EXCELLENCE - EXCEED the world’s standard while serving the purposes of God’s kingdom
RESPOND WITH COMPASSIONATE ACTION - EXPEDITE our response to needs as the Lord reveals opportunities to minister
DEMONSTRATE BIBLICAL INTEGRITY - EXHIBIT character and integrity personally, at home and work
WALK IN BOLD FAITH - EXPECT God to do the impossible
Samaritan's Purse Mission Statement:
Samaritan's Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan's Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine with the purpose of sharing God's love through His Son, Jesus Christ. The organization serves the Church worldwide to promote the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Samaritan's Purse Statement of Faith:
* We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God. (1 Thessalonians 2:13; 2 Timothy 3:15-17)
* We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. (Matthew 28:19; John 10:30; Ephesians 4:4-6)
* We believe in the deity of the Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood on the cross, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory. (Matthew 1:23; John 1:1-4 and 1:29; Acts 1:11 and 2:22-24; Romans 8:34; 1 Corinthians 15:3-4; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Philippians 2:5-11; Hebrews 1:1-4 and 4:15)
* We believe that all men everywhere are lost and face the judgment of God, that Jesus Christ is the only way of salvation, and that for the salvation of lost and sinful man, repentance of sin and faith in Jesus Christ results in regeneration by the Holy Spirit. (Luke 24:46-47; John 14:6; Acts 4:12; Romans 3:23; 2 Corinthians 5:10-11; Ephesians 1:7 and 2:8-9; Titus 3:4-7)
* We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, whose indwelling enables the Christian to live a godly life. (John 3:5-8; Acts 1:8 and 4:31; Romans 8:9; 1 Corinthians 2:14; Galatians 5:16-18; Ephesians 6:12; Colossians 2:6-10)
* We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; the saved unto the resurrection of eternal life and the lost unto the resurrection of damnation and eternal punishment. (1 Corinthians 15:51-57; Revelation 20:11-15)
* We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in the Lord Jesus Christ and that all true believers are members of His body, the church. (1 Corinthians 12:12, 27; Ephesians 1:22-23)
* We believe that the ministry of evangelism and discipleship is a responsibility of all followers of Jesus Christ. (Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; Romans 10:9-15; 1 Peter 3:15)
* We believe God’s plan for human sexuality is to be expressed only within the context of marriage, that God created man and woman as unique biological persons made to complete each other. God instituted monogamous marriage between male and female as the foundation of the family and the basic structure of human society. For this reason, we believe that marriage is exclusively the union of one genetic male and one genetic female. (Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:5-6; Mark 10:6-9; Romans 1:26-27; 1 Corinthians 6:9)
* We believe that we must dedicate ourselves to prayer, to the service of our Lord, to His authority over our lives, and to the ministry of evangelism. (Matthew 9:35-38; 22:37-39, and 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; Romans 10:9-15 and 12:20-21; Galatians 6:10; Colossians 2:6-10; 1 Peter 3:15)
* We believe that human life is sacred from conception to its natural end; and that we must have concern for the physical and spiritual needs of our fellowmen. (Psalm 139:13; Isaiah 49:1; Jeremiah 1:5; Matthew 22:37-39; Romans 12:20-21; Galatians 6:10)
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 7859-1