Medical Doctor (Short-term)
Maban County Hospital in Upper Nile State has been supported by Samaritan’s Purse (SP) since 2011. It is the only secondary care provider in the region therefore receiving many referrals from the four surrounding refugee camps as well as the host community in Bunj. The workload is intensive and requires a team of dedicated health professionals to meet the ever increasing demand for specialized medical care at the hospital.
The hospital is a great conduit for the gospel; people who are physically hurting are coming for healing, but they most importantly need spiritual healing. Use your physician skills to bring people to The Great Physician, and serve here.
Description of Job duties:
- Contribute to the overall delivery of care at the hospital including tropical diseases, pediatric, obstetric/gynecological, medical and surgical care.
- Responsible for daily ward rounds; as frequent as the patients’ conditions demand but standard is twice per day.
- Assist with out-patient consultations. Must review all cases for admission and write out pre-admission instructions.
- Supervision of junior hospital staff to ensure maximum use of their skills and potentials to ensure good quality health services are delivered.
- Be available for calls 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Offer hands - on clinical instruction to nurses during ward rounds and in surgery.
- Must be available to assist the nurses with difficult procedures.
- May be called upon to offer classroom lectures to the nurses and or midwives as need arises.
- Prepare medical and epidemiological monthly reports.
- Attend all managing meetings concerning the hospital.
- Attend daily morning devotions and participate in prayer support for the ministry, its donors, and volunteers.
- Maintain a strong Christian witness to colleagues, vendors, charitable beneficiaries, and the general public.
- Assess, manage, and report critical physical, emotional, or spiritual concerns of supervised staff.
- Maintains a personal relationship with Jesus Christ; is a consistent witness for Jesus Christ.
- Degree in Medicine from a recognized University; post graduate degree in internal medicine/surgery would be an added advantage. Must have a minimum working experience of 3-5 years post-internship in resource-poor settings.
- Strong coordination skills; flexibility, adaptability, and patience; facilitation and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and adhere to strict deadlines.
- Analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to assess problems and recommend solutions.
- Cross cultural awareness and sensitivity to cultural differences.
- Awareness of the importance of respecting gender related issues.
- Ability to motivate and develop the skills of others.
- Excellent skills in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to perform basic surgical operations such as caesarean section, laparotomy, appendectomy, herniotomy, injuries.
- Arabic language skills preferred but not required. Excellent skills in spoken and written English required.
This is a 2 - 4 week contract to fill in for doctors who are on leave (ongoing recruitment).
This is an unaccompanied position.
Samaritan’s Purse Distinct Objectives:
PROCLAIM THE GOSPEL - EXALT Christ and share the Gospel while working in His Name around the world
SERVE WITH EXCELLENCE - EXCEED the world’s standard while serving the purposes of God’s kingdom
RESPOND WITH COMPASSIONATE ACTION - EXPEDITE our response to needs as the Lord reveals opportunities to minister
DEMONSTRATE BIBLICAL INTEGRITY - EXHIBIT character and integrity personally, at home and work
WALK IN BOLD FAITH - EXPECT God to do the impossible
Samaritan's Purse Mission Statement:
Samaritan's Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan's Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine with the purpose of sharing God's love through His Son, Jesus Christ. The organization serves the Church worldwide to promote the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Samaritan's Purse Statement of Faith:
* We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God. (1 Thessalonians 2:13; 2 Timothy 3:15-17)
* We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. (Matthew 28:19; John 10:30; Ephesians 4:4-6)
* We believe in the deity of the Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood on the cross, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory. (Matthew 1:23; John 1:1-4 and 1:29; Acts 1:11 and 2:22-24; Romans 8:34; 1 Corinthians 15:3-4; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Philippians 2:5-11; Hebrews 1:1-4 and 4:15)
* We believe that all men everywhere are lost and face the judgment of God, that Jesus Christ is the only way of salvation, and that for the salvation of lost and sinful man, repentance of sin and faith in Jesus Christ results in regeneration by the Holy Spirit. (Luke 24:46-47; John 14:6; Acts 4:12; Romans 3:23; 2 Corinthians 5:10-11; Ephesians 1:7 and 2:8-9; Titus 3:4-7)
* We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, whose indwelling enables the Christian to live a godly life. (John 3:5-8; Acts 1:8 and 4:31; Romans 8:9; 1 Corinthians 2:14; Galatians 5:16-18; Ephesians 6:12; Colossians 2:6-10)
* We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; the saved unto the resurrection of eternal life and the lost unto the resurrection of damnation and eternal punishment. (1 Corinthians 15:51-57; Revelation 20:11-15)
* We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in the Lord Jesus Christ and that all true believers are members of His body, the church. (1 Corinthians 12:12, 27; Ephesians 1:22-23)
* We believe that the ministry of evangelism and discipleship is a responsibility of all followers of Jesus Christ. (Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; Romans 10:9-15; 1 Peter 3:15)
* We believe God’s plan for human sexuality is to be expressed only within the context of marriage, that God created man and woman as unique biological persons made to complete each other. God instituted monogamous marriage between male and female as the foundation of the family and the basic structure of human society. For this reason, we believe that marriage is exclusively the union of one genetic male and one genetic female. (Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:5-6; Mark 10:6-9; Romans 1:26-27; 1 Corinthians 6:9)
* We believe that we must dedicate ourselves to prayer, to the service of our Lord, to His authority over our lives, and to the ministry of evangelism. (Matthew 9:35-38; 22:37-39, and 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; Romans 10:9-15 and 12:20-21; Galatians 6:10; Colossians 2:6-10; 1 Peter 3:15)
* We believe that human life is sacred from conception to its natural end; and that we must have concern for the physical and spiritual needs of our fellowmen. (Psalm 139:13; Isaiah 49:1; Jeremiah 1:5; Matthew 22:37-39; Romans 12:20-21; Galatians 6:10)
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 7571