Maternal & Child Health Coordinator
Maban County Hospital in Upper Nile State, South Sudan has been supported by Samaritan’s Purse since 2011. It is the only secondary care provider in the region therefore receiving many referrals from the four surrounding refugee camps as well as the host community in Bunj. The workload is intensive and requires a team of dedicated health professionals to meet the ever increasing demand for specialized medical care at the hospital.
The Maternal and Child Health Coordinator is responsible for assisting the Samaritan’s Purse medical programming at Maban County Hospital to accomplish the goals of reducing morbidity and mortality of vulnerable and war-affected populations in Maban County, Upper Nile State.
The hospital is a great conduit for the gospel; people who are physically hurting are coming for healing, but they most importantly need spiritual healing. Use your physician skills to bring people to The Great Physician, and serve here.
Description of Job duties:
- Work closely with the Medical Director, Health Program Manager and Area Coordinator to implement the Maternal Child Health component of the program in Maban County Hospital.
- Closely monitor program objectives and indicators to ensure that they are achieved and progressively improve the quality of care.
- Manage Maternal Child Health activities and staff at Maban County Hospital
- Ensure quality programming through standardized use of guidelines and industry recognized protocols, including quantitative and qualitative assessments
- Build capacity of Maban County Hospital staff through trainings, and supportive supervisions.
- Write and submit reports on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis
- Conduct daily ward rounds in maternity, manage the patients, perform ultrasounds and be on call to respond to medical and obstetric emergencies within the hospital.
- Review patients referred from other peripheral health facilities.
- Participate in hospital development systems and reviews including data quality and utilization of data to improve services at facility level.
- Oversee and review medical supplies and facilitate ordering.
- Attend daily morning devotions and participate in prayer support for the ministry, its donors and volunteers.
- Maintain a strong Christian witness to colleagues, vendors, charitable beneficiaries, and the general public.
- Assess, manage, and report critical physical, emotional, or spiritual concerns of supervised staff.
- Maintains a personal relationship with Jesus Christ; is a consistent witness for Jesus Christ.
- Medical Doctor with training and experience in obstetrics; 3 to 5 years’ of relevant healthcare management experience in developing countries; related work experience in disaster context; experience in conflict or post-conflict settings.
- Experience working with (Comprehensive Emergency Obstetrics and Neonatal Care) CEmONC facilities.
- Experience working with International standards of care in Maternal Child Health.
- Cross cultural awareness and sensitivity to cultural differences.
- Ability to teach and impart pertinent information to low level staff cadres.
- Able to lead and encourage teamwork among staff.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Must be able to use Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Willingness to learn the Sudanese Arabic language
- Must be willing to abide by the Samaritan’s Purse code of Christian conduct.
- Ability to offer training and educational opportunities to staff and community.
24 month contract with the potential for renewal.
This is an unaccompanied assignment.
This position may often require travel to parts of the country with communicable diseases, hot and humid conditions.
International Employee Benefits
Employees who choose to work internationally get to take advantage of the following benefits:
- Medical, prescription, dental & vision coverage
- Disability insurance
- Term Life insurance
- Retirement savings plan
- Ten paid holidays (holiday observance will depend on the host country)
- Annual home leave
- Twelve vacation days per year
Samaritan’s Purse Distinct Objectives:
PROCLAIM THE GOSPEL - EXALT Christ and share the Gospel while working in His Name around the world
SERVE WITH EXCELLENCE - EXCEED the world’s standard while serving the purposes of God’s kingdom
RESPOND WITH COMPASSIONATE ACTION - EXPEDITE our response to needs as the Lord reveals opportunities to minister
DEMONSTRATE BIBLICAL INTEGRITY - EXHIBIT character and integrity personally, at home and work
WALK IN BOLD FAITH - EXPECT God to do the impossible
Samaritan's Purse Mission Statement:
Samaritan's Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan's Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine with the purpose of sharing God's love through His Son, Jesus Christ. The organization serves the Church worldwide to promote the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Samaritan's Purse Statement of Faith:
* We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God. (1 Thessalonians 2:13; 2 Timothy 3:15-17)
* We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. (Matthew 28:19; John 10:30; Ephesians 4:4-6)
* We believe in the deity of the Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood on the cross, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory. (Matthew 1:23; John 1:1-4 and 1:29; Acts 1:11 and 2:22-24; Romans 8:34; 1 Corinthians 15:3-4; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Philippians 2:5-11; Hebrews 1:1-4 and 4:15)
* We believe that all men everywhere are lost and face the judgment of God, that Jesus Christ is the only way of salvation, and that for the salvation of lost and sinful man, repentance of sin and faith in Jesus Christ results in regeneration by the Holy Spirit. (Luke 24:46-47; John 14:6; Acts 4:12; Romans 3:23; 2 Corinthians 5:10-11; Ephesians 1:7 and 2:8-9; Titus 3:4-7)
* We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, whose indwelling enables the Christian to live a godly life. (John 3:5-8; Acts 1:8 and 4:31; Romans 8:9; 1 Corinthians 2:14; Galatians 5:16-18; Ephesians 6:12; Colossians 2:6-10)
* We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; the saved unto the resurrection of eternal life and the lost unto the resurrection of damnation and eternal punishment. (1 Corinthians 15:51-57; Revelation 20:11-15)
* We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in the Lord Jesus Christ and that all true believers are members of His body, the church. (1 Corinthians 12:12, 27; Ephesians 1:22-23)
* We believe that the ministry of evangelism and discipleship is a responsibility of all followers of Jesus Christ. (Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; Romans 10:9-15; 1 Peter 3:15)
* We believe God’s plan for human sexuality is to be expressed only within the context of marriage, that God created man and woman as unique biological persons made to complete each other. God instituted monogamous marriage between male and female as the foundation of the family and the basic structure of human society. For this reason, we believe that marriage is exclusively the union of one genetic male and one genetic female. (Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:5-6; Mark 10:6-9; Romans 1:26-27; 1 Corinthians 6:9)
* We believe that we must dedicate ourselves to prayer, to the service of our Lord, to His authority over our lives, and to the ministry of evangelism. (Matthew 9:35-38; 22:37-39, and 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; Romans 10:9-15 and 12:20-21; Galatians 6:10; Colossians 2:6-10; 1 Peter 3:15)
* We believe that human life is sacred from conception to its natural end; and that we must have concern for the physical and spiritual needs of our fellowmen. (Psalm 139:13; Isaiah 49:1; Jeremiah 1:5; Matthew 22:37-39; Romans 12:20-21; Galatians 6:10)
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 8396