Deputy Country Director - Operations, South Sudan
Samaritan’s Purse has been working in the world’s newest country; South Sudan and Sudan, countries in desperate need of the gospel of Jesus Christ for over 20 years. SP-South Sudan (SPSS) is Samaritan’s Purse’s largest field office, operating across 5 bases primarily in emergency relief to refugees and Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs).
As a critical member of the SPSS team, the Deputy Country Director-Operations (DCD-O) will provide general management of operational issues as well as line responsibility for the Hospital that SPSS administers. Coordinating closely with the Deputy Country Director-Programs (DCD-Programs), the DCD-O will have responsibility for engagement with other agencies, the host government and donors. Based in Juba, the DCD-O will be a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT) and will be required to travel to field sites frequently, providing reports back to the Country Director (CD).
Join the team to meet the physical and spiritual needs of the refugees and IDPs in this area. Isaiah 6:8 says "Then I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, ‘Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?’ Then I said, ‘Here am I. Send me!’" Have a career with impact, serve with us!
Description of Job duties:
- Assist the CD and SMT to articulate and disseminate a clear vision and strategy for SPSS.
- Provide leadership, management and strategy for all operational aspects of the SPSS country office, including donor and government engagement to ensure compliance and effective service.
- Provide critical connections between Juba and field locations so that support functions in Juba operate effectively, efficiently and in a spirit of service to foster strong team morale.
- Provide direct line management of the Operations Manager, Human Resources Manager, Hospital Administration and the Ministry Program Manager
- Work with relevant team members to ensure grants, awards and internally funded programs are implemented according to SP and donor regulations
- Work closely with the Ministry Program Manager to ensure staff devotions and ministry outreach programs to the community foster spiritual development in line with the country office’s mission
- Work with HR department and PMs to enhance staff capacity with a special focus on pursuing SPSS’ strategy of building local staff capacity
- Provide timely and relevant reports for CD
- Act as Officer in Charge in the Absence of the CD
- Host VIP trips including media personnel, government officials, dignitaries and IHQ visitors.
- When needed, represent SP with journalists and media outlets
- Attend daily morning devotions and participate in prayer support for the ministry, its donors and volunteers.
- Be a spiritual leader for the International Field Staff and National Staff.
- Maintain a strong Christian witness to colleagues, vendors, charitable beneficiaries, and the general public.
- Be an ambassador of SPSS and ensure relationships with coordination bodies are strong and the profile of SP in such forums is positive and influential.
- Maintains a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and a consistent witness for Jesus Christ.
- Master’s degree with at least 3 additional years related experience or training, or a Bachelor degree with at least 5 years of related experience
- One year of college-level Biblical studies strongly preferred.
- Previous experience working overseas, particularly in Africa.
- Three to five years of field level management experience in medical or hospital administration, including experience in leading a large cross cultural team.
- Strong prior experience working in a humanitarian relief environment, including management of donor funded projects
- Possesses strong organizational skills, communication skills and networking skills.
- Ability to coordinate activities with local involvement and establish working relationships with other NGOs.
- Understanding of local culture is essential.
- Willingness to travel in and out of the field.
- Willingness to stay in the field for extended periods.
24 month contract with the potential for renewal.
This is an unaccompanied assignment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions, cooler temperatures as well as extreme heat. The employee is exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; and could be working in and around a disaster zone.
International Employee Benefits
Employees who choose to work internationally get to take advantage of the following benefits:
- Medical, prescription, dental & vision coverage
- Disability insurance
- Term Life insurance
- Retirement savings plan
- Ten paid holidays (holiday observance will depend on the host country)
- Annual home leave
- Twelve vacation days per year
Samaritan’s Purse Distinct Objectives:
PROCLAIM THE GOSPEL - EXALT Christ and share the Gospel while working in His Name around the world
SERVE WITH EXCELLENCE - EXCEED the world’s standard while serving the purposes of God’s kingdom
RESPOND WITH COMPASSIONATE ACTION - EXPEDITE our response to needs as the Lord reveals opportunities to minister
DEMONSTRATE BIBLICAL INTEGRITY - EXHIBIT character and integrity personally, at home and work
WALK IN BOLD FAITH - EXPECT God to do the impossible
Samaritan's Purse Mission Statement:
Samaritan's Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan's Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine with the purpose of sharing God's love through His Son, Jesus Christ. The organization serves the Church worldwide to promote the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Samaritan's Purse Statement of Faith:
* We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God. (1 Thessalonians 2:13; 2 Timothy 3:15-17)
* We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. (Matthew 28:19; John 10:30; Ephesians 4:4-6)
* We believe in the deity of the Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood on the cross, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory. (Matthew 1:23; John 1:1-4 and 1:29; Acts 1:11 and 2:22-24; Romans 8:34; 1 Corinthians 15:3-4; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Philippians 2:5-11; Hebrews 1:1-4 and 4:15)
* We believe that all men everywhere are lost and face the judgment of God, that Jesus Christ is the only way of salvation, and that for the salvation of lost and sinful man, repentance of sin and faith in Jesus Christ results in regeneration by the Holy Spirit. (Luke 24:46-47; John 14:6; Acts 4:12; Romans 3:23; 2 Corinthians 5:10-11; Ephesians 1:7 and 2:8-9; Titus 3:4-7)
* We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, whose indwelling enables the Christian to live a godly life. (John 3:5-8; Acts 1:8 and 4:31; Romans 8:9; 1 Corinthians 2:14; Galatians 5:16-18; Ephesians 6:12; Colossians 2:6-10)
* We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; the saved unto the resurrection of eternal life and the lost unto the resurrection of damnation and eternal punishment. (1 Corinthians 15:51-57; Revelation 20:11-15)
* We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in the Lord Jesus Christ and that all true believers are members of His body, the church. (1 Corinthians 12:12, 27; Ephesians 1:22-23)
* We believe that the ministry of evangelism and discipleship is a responsibility of all followers of Jesus Christ. (Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; Romans 10:9-15; 1 Peter 3:15)
* We believe God’s plan for human sexuality is to be expressed only within the context of marriage, that God created man and woman as unique biological persons made to complete each other. God instituted monogamous marriage between male and female as the foundation of the family and the basic structure of human society. For this reason, we believe that marriage is exclusively the union of one genetic male and one genetic female. (Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:5-6; Mark 10:6-9; Romans 1:26-27; 1 Corinthians 6:9)
* We believe that we must dedicate ourselves to prayer, to the service of our Lord, to His authority over our lives, and to the ministry of evangelism. (Matthew 9:35-38; 22:37-39, and 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; Romans 10:9-15 and 12:20-21; Galatians 6:10; Colossians 2:6-10; 1 Peter 3:15)
* We believe that human life is sacred from conception to its natural end; and that we must have concern for the physical and spiritual needs of our fellowmen. (Psalm 139:13; Isaiah 49:1; Jeremiah 1:5; Matthew 22:37-39; Romans 12:20-21; Galatians 6:10)
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 7998